What HELPS can do for you
HELPS represents seniors and disabled persons receiving federally protected income including social security, pensions, disability, veteran benefits and even a small wage.
- We send letters to collectors telling them your income is protected and that they must call us not you- stopping collector harassment
- HELPS gives you an attorney to call whenever you are scared or worried and have questions about old debt, now and in the future.
- HELPS never turns anyone away that qualifies for our help. We are 501 c charity.
- If you owe taxes we can help you obtain uncollectable status with the IRS. If necessary we will do a conference call with you to the IRS.
- If you have student loans we can help get you on an income contingent repayment plan with a likely payment of $0 per month. Again if necessary we will do a conference call together.
- If you are disabled we can help get your student loans discharged.
- HELPS does not represent persons in court but if you are sued for an old debt we will write the attorney for the creditor, explain and furnish proof that your income is protected and explain it cannot be garnished and seized.
- If you are sued for an old debt we will answer your questions and assure you about your protected income.
- If you are veteran or widow of a veteran we can advise you on available veteran benefits you might not be aware of.
- We will talk with you about options if you have a house or car payment you can’t afford.
- HELPS knows how to deal with payday loans.
- We can advise you about less expensive transportation and housing options.
- HELPS can provide a letter to you to give to prospective landlords explaining your income is protected and available for rent.
- In the rare instance that a HELPS client might actually need a local attorney, HELPS will assist you in obtaining a pro bono attorney
- We can help you if you get an IRS form 1099c and explain form 982 so you won’t owe any taxes.
- You can always call if you suspect someone is trying to con you.
- We can always do a conference call with you and a child or trusted friend if you would like.
- We can explain how to what to do if you owe money to the bank where you receive social security.
- If your social security is being garnished for past due taxes we can help stop that.
- We can discuss how to stay in a home as long as possible through foreclosure.
- We can explain what happens if a car is repossessed and why not to worry.
- We can counsel you if you have feelings of guilt because of inability to pay old debt.
- With HELPS you will always have someone to call with questions.
Call now 855 435 7787 to get help and answers to your questions. We represent our clients for the purpose of them having an attorney to receive collector communication. HELPS does not represent persons in court or give legal advice but we do educate seniors and disabled persons about their financial rights.