Helps in the News
- Helping Seniors with Financial Issues by Eric Olsen, “An article written to help attorneys who work with seniors facing financial problems, published in March in the State of Washington’s state bar publication, the Northwest Lawyer.
- Reverse Mortgage: What is it, Who Can Apply and Does it Work? Video interview on Consumer Recovery Network website “ 25 minute interview of Eric Olsen of HELPS by Michael Bovee detailing reverse mortgage, cleaning up misconceptions and explaining the process.
- Seniors and Disabled Versus Debt Collectors 12 minute video interview of Eric Olsen by Michael Bovee on his website, Consumer Recovery Network “This interview has helped many seniors understand their rights and learn how their income and assets are protected.
- Read About HELPS Founder Eric Olsen in the Oregon State Bar Bulletin.
- “Guilt and Debt” published in the July 2016 issue of Senior Voice America, Americas largest seniors newspaper
- “Know How to Protect your income” Jan 2016 issue of Senior Voice America
- Oregonian Newspaper 6/5/2015 Oregon tax collectors improperly seized social security from the poor, elderly
- Oregonian Newspaper June 11, 2015 House lawmakers revive bill aimed at tax collectors (Oregonian June 11, 2015) Eric Olsen, a Salem attorney and advocate for the poor and elderly, said the Revenue Department is out of control. “It doesn’t make sense to shake down the elderly in Oregon until they can’t afford their medicine,” he said. “They don’t accept the fact that there are some people who simply can’t afford to pay anything.”
- Oregonian Newspaper July 7, 2015 Brown signs new measure imposing restraints on tax collectors (OregonLive) “There’s always been a problem with the ODR being aggressive with seniors living off exempt income,” Olsen said. “I just got tired of hearing this same story. People were being garnished, they were getting letters, they were never advised of their rights by the department. I finally decided I needed to do something.”
- Press release 7/13/2015 Small Nonprofit Helps Create Big Change in Oregon Tax laws
- Lincoln55plus Senior Newspaper “One Out of Four Nebraska Seniors are Economically Vulnerable” by Eric Olsen Executive Director HELPS Nonprofit Law Firm.
- Presenter at Aging in America annual conference in Chicago and San Diego 2013 and 2014 “How Lower Income Seniors Can Maintain their Financial Independence.”
Call now 855 435 7787 to get help and answers to your questions. We represent our clients for the purpose of them having an attorney to receive collector communication. HELPS does not represent persons in court or give legal advice but we do educate seniors and disabled persons about their financial rights.